We were thrilled with the results of a two-year longitudinal study of the efficacy of ABCmouse. The study examined the academic impact of the integration of our ABCmouse Early Learning Academy into prekindergarten and kindergarten classrooms. An article about the study was recently published in the Journal of Applied Research on Children.
The study found that students who completed more ABCmouse learning activities during the prekindergarten year scored higher on an assessment of kindergarten readiness skills than those who completed fewer activities. Results also showed that ABCmouse contributed to accelerated gains in literacy and math across several assessments throughout the kindergarten year. ABCmouse also appeared to help students who entered kindergarten less prepared catch up to their peers. Increased usage correlated with positive academic outcomes: the more students used ABCmouse, the more likely they were to make gains in math and literacy skills.
3 Key Findings of the Study
- Kindergarten readiness: Greater usage of ABCmouse (more learning activities completed) resulted in higher kindergarten readiness scores at the end of pre-k.
- Accelerated learning in kindergarten: Regular ABCmouse usage in kindergarten helped to accelerate students’ learning gains in literacy and mathematics skills on multiple assessments.
- Learning activities: The number of ABCmouse learning activities completed was a strong predictor of literacy and math outcomes at the end of kindergarten.
In order to validate the effectiveness of our ABCmouse.com Early Learning Academy, Age of Learning regularly commissions research by independent early education experts. I’m pleased to report that study findings have consistently shown significant positive effects.
This brief post will summarize several key findings from three large-scale studies of the effects of ABCmouse.com use by children, both at home and in school, in a range of geographic and socio-economic settings. For additional details, see this Age of Learning blog post about the studies.
Highlights of Study Findings
- ABCmouse.com accelerates learning: children using our curriculum develop early literacy and math skills two to three times faster.
- ABCmouse.com helps children make significant gains in phonics, vocabulary, literacy, and other reading skills, as well as numeracy and other key math skills.
- Children who regularly use ABCmouse.com at home outperform their peers: regular users of ABCmouse.com score more than 50% higher on several reading and math skills—on some skills, more than 80% higher—than peers who have not yet used the curriculum.